I've been a huge fan of the farmhouse look --natural, dark wood. I'm also a fan of color and metallic, along with natural ocean decor. My decor taste is truly all over the place, so finding a look that isn't too masculine, too feminine, too rustic, too beachy, or too posh has been a challenge.
There's still so much that I want to change/alter/upgrade, but for now I'm working with what I have.
First up, the dining room table.
What you'll need:
- Old Rag for staining (I didn't use a paintbrush for staining or painting during this project)
- Shop Towels (for your paint and glaze-- this is the blue thick paper towels. You could use another rag if you'd like)
- Paintbrush (used only for sealing)
- Rust-Oleum Kona Stain
- White Latex Paint (any brand will do)
- Valspar Gold Glaze
- Polycrylic Sealer
- First, sand your table. I used a palm sander for the top, and hand sanded the legs.
- Second, stain your tabletop. Wipe on with your rag, then wipe off. Let the stain soak into wood, but in thin layers at a time. I gave mine four layers.
- Third, stain your legs and the sides of the table in the same fashion --wipe on, wipe off. I only gave the legs two layers of stain.
- Fourth, once the stain in dry, take a shop towel and rub a thin layer of white paint over your stain. At this point, you're thinking "Dear God, I've ruined my table!". Don't worry, it gets better and you CAN'T mess this up!
- Fifth, once the "ugly" is dry, lightly sand over the legs and sides until you've achieved the level of distressed you desire. You should have three colors at this point --the original wood, the stained wood, and some white, depending of how much you sanded off.
- Sixth, with a clean shop towel, wipe on some gold glaze-- go crazy if you want, but make sure you get some in the grooves and cracks of your table. I glazed only my legs and sides --thick in the grooves, thin on my flat areas-- leaving it with a nice shimmer when the sun directly hits it.
- Seventh, once everything is dry, apply a coat of polycrylic sealer. Let it sit for 24 hours before reassembling your table.
Mermaid's Song, Ocean Whisper, and Sea Lily
bamboo rug, overstock
fur blankets, Target
black and gold pillows, Target